Leafcutter ants, fire ants, etc.
- dacetine tribe group
- cephalotine tribe group
- attine tribe group
- Attini (fungus-growing ants)
- solenopsidine tribe group (monophyly uncertain)
- Solenopsidini (fire ants, etc.)
- myrmicine tribe group (monophyly uncertain)
- Myrmicini (harvester ants, etc.)
- formicoxenine tribe group (monophyly uncertain)
- Tyrranomyrmex rex
- Attopsis (incertae sedis)
- Cephalomyrmex rotundatus (incertae sedis)
- Electromyrmex klebsi (incertae sedis)
- Eocenidris crassa (incertae sedis)
- Eoformica pinguis (incertae sedis)
- Eomyrmex guchengziensis (incertae sedis)
- Miosolenopsis fossilis (incertae sedis)
- Zhangidris atopogaster (incertae sedis)
CharacteristicsBolton (2003) gives the following apomorphies of the Myrmicinae:
- Metapleural gland orifice a longitudinal slit or crescent, opening dorsally to posterodorsally, and not overhung by a cuticular flange or flap
- Petiole in posterior view with fused tergite and sternite equally convex, with their inner margins forming a circle
- Helcial tergite and sternite form a rough circle in frontal view, their apices meeting end to end, and the tergite not overlapping the sternite
Bolton, B. 1994. Identification Guide to the Ant Genera of the World. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Bolton, B. 1995. A New General Catalogue of the Ants of the World. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Bolton, B. 1998. Monophyly of the dacetonine tribe-group and its component tribes. Bulletin of the Natural History Museum (Entomology Series) 67: 65-78.
Bolton, B. 2003. Synopsis and Classification of Formicidae. 370 pp. Memoirs of the American Entomological Institute, Vol. 71. Gainesville, FL.
Hölldobler, B. and E. O. Wilson. 1990. The Ants. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
Wheeler, G. C. & Wheeler, J. 1976. Ant larvae: review and synthesis. Memoirs of the Entomological Society of Washington 74: 1-108.
About This Page
Page copyright © 2004
Page: Tree of Life Myrmicinae. Leafcutter ants, fire ants, etc.. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.
- First online 20 March 2004
Citing this page:
Tree of Life Web Project. 2004. Myrmicinae. Leafcutter ants, fire ants, etc.. Version 20 March 2004 (temporary). http://tolweb.org/Myrmicinae/22221/2004.03.20 in The Tree of Life Web Project, http://tolweb.org/